General Guidelines: Natural Stone
The installation of natural stone must be performed by an experienced installation contractor with care given to the protection of the stone until construction is complete.
We recommend requiring your contractor to make a “mockup” board to test grout, sealers, and maintenance products prior to the commencement of project installation.
- The appropriate substrate must be determined by your contractor.
- Your contractor will test and guide you to the appropriate installation materials.
- Hiring a knowledgeable tile contractor with previous experience with natural stone is essential.
- Protection of the stone during and after installation, including sealing, is essential.
- DO NOT USE MASKING TAPE ON THE SURFACE OF NATURAL STONE. This will leave a glue residue that will absorb dirt over the coming months and years. Use tape that is meant for glue-free release.
- Color variation is THE inherent beauty of natural stone. Make sure to blend the materials to account for color variations prior to installing.
- This is a quarried product, color, and stone characteristics, such as veining, will vary within the same piece and totality of the order.
- There are many different edge and surface finishes available, please double check to be sure your order is as specified prior to installation.
Sealer & Maintenance Notes:
Prior to installation you must understand how the stone will be used, which dictates the needed sealing and maintenance parameters. Manufacture instructions for the specific sealant and cleaning products used will instruct how often the stone is to be maintained or re-sealed.
- Please consult with your selected sealer manufacturer’s technical department for specific advice.
- Wet use areas, such as showers, will need to be maintained and re-sealed more often than in dry areas.
- Sealing after grouting is also recommended as sealing the cementitious grout helps maintain the entire surface.
BE SURE THAT THE STONE IS PROTECTED FROM CONSTRUCTION DIRT, DUST AND FOOT TRAFIC UNTIL THE ENTIRE PROJECT IS COMPLETE.